Monday, February 14, 2005

Battle Without Honor Or Humanity


Martin Luther nails his 95 theses to The Church door.

I like this image because it is symbolic of the brilliant and revolutionary work that appears on this very blog. Right now I'm immersing myself in political philosophy, existentialism and other big words. But don't worry I'm very dull and desperate... it probably won't last long.

I'd been hoping to stitch together a more legitimate vision from the shreds and tatters of last century's big ideas, hoping to establish some ideological foundation to run back to after throwing my rhetorical molotov cocktails.

But so far I feel like a pathetic little fallacy trying to imitate these egotists. I'm torn between developing "The Big Idea" and riffing on these sparks of originality. It seems unnatural to ignore the flow of flashy phrases that seem to pop into my head like coins dropping in a slot machine, yet they rarely lead to anything coherent.

Thinking about the "The Big Idea" makes me feel like a pompous, fake intellectual trying to stretch what little education I have too far. Meanwhile, I end up sounding like some hapless Unabomber.

Einstein said, "Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." I guess that's the right ethic. As long as it works who cares if it's a little bit of a smoke-and-mirrors illusion. It's always the academics who pick these things apart years later and throw the up-and-comers off course.

Secretly of course, I'll continue rooting for utter catastrophe and chaos because only in the profound chasm of suffering can truth or beauty be found anymore. Only in the stark juxtaposition of "normal" life and it's destruction can I find anything worth living, dying, or fighting for.









1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whom history regards as geniuses tend to be people who got credit for some major accomplishment. Those people are often as self promoting as they are genius. I typically think that true geniuses often go unrecognized because they can never reconcile the mutual exclusivity of originality and achieved results. Edison was a shameless self promoter. I know this because it was in a simpsons episode.

am

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home